Friday, June 11, 2010

Babywearing conference

Yes, that really is Jacob. The first time I put on a baby wrap, WAY back when.

This week I’ve been able to get to the IBC conference in Rigby. IBC stands for International babywearing conference. (Although, IBC conference means it’s conference conference, which is way redundant). I have no idea how it ended up in Rigby, the last one was in Chicago.

In essence, that’s hundreds of moms who are pro-babywearing, in a tiny place, from all over the world. To make this Easy: Baby-wearing is the act of using a wrap, sling, carrier, pouch, or other method to attach baby to mama and wear them around. Ironically, I have rarely seen 2 of the same method this week, and where I have, it’s usually a wrap or a sling, and they use it slightly differently. The point is simple; it’s to do what is best for baby.

You do get the eccentrics, (always), but for the most part, it’s really cool and informative! Yesterday I hit a class on babywearing safety, and if I’m lucky, today we’ll make it over to the museum in Rigby. They have this awesome exhibit that is babywearing through the ages. Which means 200 years of whatever the popular carrying technique was through the years. Really awesome! (If I’m lucky I’ll get over there). I heard somebody mention that near the exhibit is an old Idaho exhibit that includes some native Americans, one with a baby in a backboard!

I also went on the baby walk yesterday morning, which was awesome too. Because me and Megan got to chat with other moms. I know my baby is not baby enough to spend much, if any time in a wrap anymore (unless I’m on a walk because I KNOW she wants to be carried five minutes in and my back can’t carry her. So for walks, I can still get away with it). But even without a wearing-size baby, the conference is still interesting. (And it only happens every two years, and never again so close to home, so how could I skip ALL of it?).

The babywearing safety, awesome! I have learned about different types of wraps and carriers, met lots of moms, and it’s just been fun. I feel like I’m in my element with other moms who understand how helpful it is to keep baby attached. I saw a cartoon the other day of a mom with a baby in a wrap, a stranger came up to her, “you know, your child will never learn to walk if you use that thing.” She looks over with a smile and points to her other child, a few years older, “oh, have you met my daughter? Exhibit A?” (I’ll try to find the link to that).

I’m not totally nuts saying you have to put your child in a carrier, I’m just totally for it, because honestly, it made my life easier with Jacob. He was colicky, he screamed for 9 months! Then a friend introduced baby wearing to me. I had tried a front baby carrier before, but it didn’t work for him, because he was big, so it was hard to get him in, and harder to get him out. I didn’t realize there were things that were adjustable!

As soon as that child was in a wrap, he turned … human! He slept, he was easier to deal with. And he spent a couple hours a day there. (I even learned to nurse in it, and make jam with him attached to my back). Then life got better, and I will never give up the wrap. When my kids get older, I’ll still suggest a carrier for their babies. I don’t care what type, (well, I do if it’s unsafe and will smother baby, but other than that … anything works).

My wrap may never get used again, (except as a hammock, it works awesome for that), but it’s still been probably the best baby purchase I ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment