Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mommy, where did you get me?

We were driving home the other day, just like any other, when a series of questions headed a direction that I was not quite ready to go.

"Mommy, where did you get me?"

Um ..... I explained that just like his cousin Ily was in her mommy's tummy once, and Paul was in his mommy's tummy, a long time ago he was in my tummy. We discussed that a long time ago his brother and his sister were also in my tummy. (Not at the same time, of course). Thankfully he didn't go on to ask how he got there in the first place.

Brandon insisted he didn't come out of mommy's tummy. According to the sweet logic of a three year old; he came from daddy's tummy. His brother and sister came from mommy's tummy.

If I were lucky, the conversation would be over right there. But I'm not. And it wasn't.

"So when I grow up I can get married like you and daddy and I can have babies? And then you'll be their grandma! " He went through this process for about five minutes, how he would marry a girl, and they could have babies so I could be their grandma and his grandma would be their great grandma.

"So you really want four kids?" I explained no. I have decided I'm perfectly happy with my three children. I want my three kids and I love my family just the way it is. He insisted I wanted four kids and I tried to understand why he decided I wanted four kids. The truth finally came out "because you have four car seats mom. You can't have more car seats than you have kids!

Ah, the simplicity of life when you are five.

Now I know that he wants to make me old by having children and making me a grandma, and he will never have a spare booster seat just in case. Someday the conversation will have to continue, but I'm satisfied with a simple "from mommy's tummy", at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment