Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Little Mother

Sometimes my 5 year old makes me smile ... and I realize he'll be an excellent teacher someday. (Albeit a slightly bossy one).

At a library event recently, the 3 year old freaked out at the lifesize Clifford, Curious George and Wild Thing (Wild thing? Where did they find that costume???).

Today, my sons were talking about it, and Jacob told Brandon, "they are just people in costumes. We don't need to be afraid of them."

In the middle of the night, if Megan wakes up, She'll wake up her brother, who will calm her down and give her hugs. The 3 kids have always shared a room, but I know where Jacob is 5, the end of room sharing is coming near. Eventually Megan, the lone girl, will have to sleep alone. But it's hard, because I put them to sleep separately, and when I go to get the kids in the morning, they are no longer separated. Typically, I find a big puppy pile of arms, legs, and blankets.

Books we've read a million times for the kids, Jacob will read to Brandon, and to Megan, and they hang on his every word. (Jacob can't read, he just knows the pictures, and the important information about the books).

My favorite part about Jacob trying to act like a mother? If he smells something, he'll check his brother and sister and come tell me who is messy.

Actually, he used to ... now there's not much guessing to do. Brandon is nearly potty trained! We have had a few accidents here and there, but he's doing so good!

Brandon is the peacemaker. I guess that's a typical 2nd child trait? If Jacob is upset because Brandon is in his seat ... often Brandon will move without being asked. Typically the rule is simple. If a sibling has something another child wants, they can ask for it. If whoever has it says yes, great, if no, that's fine too. It's a working method.

We have a family thing this weekend, and we are driving down to Utah. Jacob grabbed the church bag (which was still between the seats where he could reach it), pulled out the coloring books, coloring utensils, and so the boys could color, while their sister played with a toy.

I count myself lucky these kids are such good travelers. Few arguments, few rest stops, and we can make a 4 hour drive in just a little more than 4 hours.

Now if only we could get Jacob's bossy nature under control; ... I'm sure the day will come. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment