Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Today is MLK day, and I thought I'd share some thoughts.

I think Martin Luther King was a leader in his time. Yet he was one of those people who are not appreciated well by his contemporaries.

My grandparents agree with the civil rights movement, yet they still consider MLK a "rabble-rouser." Grandpa says when he came to town, things were great until he came in, then everybody was unhappy with the way things were. People that grew through the depression don't seem to appreciate change.

My other grandparents, flat out told us when we were growing up, that if we married a black man, we would be disowned. Chances are, he's telling the truth. He would.

A friend of mine growing up (complements of being a military brat), told me that in his high school, he saw discrimination for the first time in his life. I didn't realize until I was older, that half my kindergarten class, and two of my elementary teachers, were African American. I didn't know? I'm sure at that age, I noticed, but it didn't matter to me.

In his high school, there were only 2 white people in the entire grade, and 7 in the high school. This was a southern high school. He said it really allowed him to see the other side of the situation.

So, my grandparents didn't appreciate him, and hopefully, by the time I have grandchildren, the world will know him as somebody who changed America for the better.

My grandparents don't think he should have his own holiday, but I'm all for it. I've never been to the south, and seen any of the old plantations. I've never really witnessed discrimination in my life. But, somehow, my teachers, those I care for, being raised a military brat, have taught me a love for all people.

Everybody deserves a chance, and equal rights. Men, woman, black, white, old, young, and disabled. Everybody should have an equal chance for jobs, life, and rights.

My parents taught me well. And I know, looking at them, that a lot of the change in the world, in our perceptions, our ability to accept everybody not for the color of the skin, but the content of their character, we need to remember to thank our teachers, who have the ability to overcome familial prejudices, and teach our children that's it's ok to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment