Saturday, February 6, 2010

Milestones

Many years ago, I read a beautiful story about what it's like to have a special needs child. (If you haven't read it, check here (http://the-callahans.com/susete/poem3.htm ).

I love this story. A mom expects to take kids to sports, dance, things like that. She never expects instead to be scheduling IEP meetings, therapists, and rejoicing when a child does something small. I've been blessed, my children are beautiful and special, but not quite what I expected.

They may not be in wheelchairs, deaf, blind, or anything huge, but it's the little things. Tourettes, OCD, Developmental delays, speech delays, and who knows what else will come up in the years to come.

I expected to be scheduling swim lessons for my oldest about now, not wondering if I can get him a bath without him totally freaking out because I got his hair wet.

I love my kids, and I wouldn't change them for anything. They are perfect, for me. I learn from them daily, and because we landed in Holland, instead of Italy, I appreciate the little things more than I probably would have otherwise.

Today my baby, my 2 year old, did something I haven't seen at this age. Daddy got her ready for bed, and she took off her pajamas by Herself! all by Herself!

I can't help but think, some mothers probably think, "oh, you're heading into a fun stage." But I don't mind, I really don't. My 5 year old just learned how to dress himself in the last 6 months. My 3 year old not only can't dress himself, but he has no idea how to undress himself.

Somehow, my 2 year old, although she originally hung out with the "failure to thrive" and "developmental delay", she's caught herself up, (or close enough), and it's always a shock to hear her give me full sentences.

But I have been rewarded greater than I ever would have expected. My 5 year old gives me these huge hugs and tells me, "you're my favorite mommy ever." My 3 year old has the most infectious smile, and laugh.

So tonight, as I go to sleep, I'm grateful for the little things. My baby undressing herself, my oldest climbing to the top bunk by himself. My 3 year old falling asleep in a bed, (instead of a floor, which is where he prefers). Tonight, I'm happy just being me.

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot about those stupid milestones. I've never been one to follow them closely and really shouldn't we be happy when our children work their hardest and grow, despite what is normal? I understand they're important, so that children who are sturggling can get the help they need, but you're right about a celebrating our children's achievements with joy at their hard work and diligence.

    ReplyDelete