Sunday, February 28, 2010

A bad mother reveals the truth.


I am a bad mother. I have learned this, and I'm ok with it. Because I am the type of mother I want to be. I do what I feel is right, and what I feel is best for my kids, regardless of what others think.

This is on the way home from a trip to visit family in Idaho this weekend. And what is she drinking? Not just pop, (or not just soda, for those from those areas of the country), she's drinking Mountain Dew. Yeah, the stuff that's not good for her. But she likes it, and it doesn't really make her hyper. It was my drink Though! My sister says her child will not be drinking any pop, or have candy, until she's at least 12. I respect that, but I'm not that type of mother.

A good mother might worry when their children are running outside in the mud, or when they pass within arms length of somebody who "might" be sick. Not me! kids get dirty, it's a fact of life, i'm ok with that. In fact, if my kids will play in the mud and actually get dirty . . . even better! They usually don't like being dirty.

As for the disease. It's one of those things I don't worry about. My kids have had their immunizations, and I know they will probably get colds, flu's, and little things as life goes on, but I can't keep them in a little bitty bubble for the rest of their lives.

one last thing I know I could do better? My 2 year old's nose is not always wiped. She's not sick, it's allergies, .... I keep her nails short, give her Benadryl when her itching gets bad, (we don't know what causes the allergies yet, the doctor wants to wait until she's 5 to test.). So her nose runs, and I wipe it, I've been keeping it wiped for 2 years now, and sometimes, I don't care. She can run around outside and I can't keep it perfect. Oh well. Its' more important to me that my kids grow up as children, then to have them as mini adults. They have the rest of their lives to worry about responsibility and being adult, I'll let them be children for now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure good mothers let their kids get dirty and drink soda. And if I wiped nose is a criteria, I am definitely out of the running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Age 8 actually...haha. But Laura, you aren't a bad mother. You love your children and do what you feel is best for them. That's good in my book. Just different parenting styles.

    ReplyDelete